Volunteer ESOL Tutor
Published date: 04 July 2017
Closing date: 30 September 2017
Main objectives of the role: As part of a team you will teach English to small groups of refugee and asylum seeking clients in Kingston. You will plan and deliver classes to meet the needs of students and work closely with the project co-ordinator to ensure classes run smoothly.
- Experience of teaching English for speakers of other languages or as a foreign language is desirable however we will consider volunteers who are eager and willing to gain experience in this field.
- Clearly communicate and teach English to refugees and asylum seekers from a range of cultural backgrounds.
- Plan, prepare and deliver lessons to ensure clear and productive learning.
- Be flexible and respond to the learning needs of clients.
- Work at ease in a challenging, vibrant learning environment.
- Have excellent cultural sensitivity, value and endorse diversity amongst our clients.
- Incorporate a culturally inclusive approach in teaching activities and monitor learner progress.
- Effectively implement team teaching and report back to the project co-ordinator as necessary.
- You must be extremely reliable and committed to volunteering one morning per week.
- Assist in setting up and clearing away tables and chairs for your class group.
- Attend Refugee Action Kingston (RAK) Induction
- Attend relevant training sessions and courses subsequent to RAK induction
- Attend supervision meetings and group meetings as required
- All volunteers will be asked if they are prepared to have a DBS check in accordance with national policy.
Direct supervision given by English Learning Project Co-ordinator
Hours / Days / Location:
Opportunities are typically available in Kingston during school term time on the days/times below:
Mondays – 9.30 am – 12.30 pm
Wednesdays – 9.30 am – 12.30 pm
Thursdays – 9.30 am – 12.30 pm
Fridays – 9.30 am – 12.30 pm
To apply please fill out an application form & equalities form https://www.refugeeactionkingston.org.uk/volunteering/ and email back to: firstname.lastname@example.org